home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

17HMR

Your weapon of choice

17HMR

Postby Alaska Dave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm

I just picked up a custom barrel in 17HMR for my Tender. I'll be using it for tree rats and fox. The gentleman I purchased it from says it's 1" at 100 yards with the 20 gr bullet. All i've found down here is the 17gr. Will hopefully be able to test it out tommorrow.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 17HMR

Postby Wiswileyhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Fun caliber to shoot.... I have the Marlin bolt gun that will pop dimes at 100yds. Makes me giggle everytime I pop off a chipmunk sitting on a stump and they go flying.
2014/2015 Season

Day Sets 23
Night Sets 26
Wolves Called 0
Coyotes Called 11 (29 visuals)
Coyotes Killed 1
Fox Called 0
Fox Killed 0
Bobcats called 0

Season to Date total for Bro & I - 3 Coyotes (3 additional by co-hunters)
Wiswileyhunter

Postby Fitter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:17 pm

LOL. Good visual.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:06 am

I love mine - it is DEADLY on tree rats. Hold dead on from 30 to 100 yards, and it knocks them right out of the tree.

You should be able to do better than 1" at 100 yds with a little effort.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 am

I've got it sighted in at 75 yards and holding 1/4" off of the rest. It's a Bullberry barrel. I picked off a squirrel at 40 yards the other day. At the trigger pull he moved ahead and bullet didn't take him in the head but across the front shoulders. Took out most of the front. Will have to try and take them when they decide not to move :D
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby coyotecold » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 pm

I went on a yote hunt with my .17 hmr and a friend. We did a set for 1/2 hour and all i seen was a red squirrel. So when my buddy was coming my way, i put the cross hairs on the red and squeezed the trigger. I got up and walked back towards the truck. My buddy was watching and trying to figure out what i shot at. Then all the sudden the squirrel fell to the ground. I was about 50 feet away from where i shot. My buddy did see me shoot and said that was one hell of a shot but the slowest bullet he seen lol. Just one of those shots where it just locked up before the claws let him fall. But i do love the firearm.
coyotecold

Postby Archie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I contemplated the same thing on a set last night... However, I had my .223, and I decided there wouldn't be much left any way you slice it, and missing the tree had pretty wide open ground for the bullet to cover. He is still crackin' nuts, the lucky little guy. A trip down the trunk would not have had such happy consequences for him. :lol:
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Varmint Calibers