home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Who is shoot P dogs

Dog hunters specific

Who is shoot P dogs

Postby young Gun » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:04 pm

all right tell me tell me, I need my fix. are there alot of prairie dogs out this time of year. what are you guys are shooting, and at what ranges are you shooting. ok spill it.
young Gun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vmthtr in green bay » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:45 am

Last year I shot 1350 rounds at the little buggers. I took a CZ 222, 2 Rem 223 Ackleys, a Savage in 6 BR with a Pac Nor tube, an Encore with a 17 Ackley Hornet barrel. Most shots average out to 250 to 400 yards. I used a friends rifle to get my 1130 yard dog, a 6.5x284 Shehane with a 8-32 Nightforce scope. Leaving for this years trip in about 30 days.

Mike
vmthtr in green bay
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby vmthtr in green bay » Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 am

Checked my notebook and I only shot 1250 rounds last year, had rain for a day and a half. Leaving Memorial Day morning this year and coming back the following Monday. Got my new 17 Mach IV up and running and am turing up another 100 brass. http://www.hunt101.com/img/287131-big.JPG
vmthtr in green bay
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby somersetrog » Sun May 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Dogs are up. I am going to Pierre SD on the 10th. If you check the laws, I think only private land is open until later in the month of June..like the 14th or something like that. The pups may be pretty small yet, but it's good shootin too. Most shots will be in the 200 yard range. Sometimes they surprise you and pop up 50 feet in front of you..good shooting.

I prefer the .223 with my AR15 dpms...take at least 1000 rounds and more than one rifle. Most people never shoot that much in a lifetime with a rifle. I enjoy tryin to wear my rifles out...
somersetrog

Postby vmthtr in green bay » Sun May 22, 2005 9:58 pm

somersetrog wrote:Dogs are up. I am going to Pierre SD on the 10th. If you check the laws, I think only private land is open until later in the month of June..like the 14th or something like that. ...

Reservations set their own game laws and seasons. They are closed between December 1st and Feb 1st. (or something to that effect)

Mike
vmthtr in green bay
Avid Member
Avid Member

advise

Postby Prairie Dogs » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:59 pm

I'll be out in Rapid City the week of the 4th of July. I see there are some public dog towns just outside of there. Anyone know if they would be worth it? I know the "public" part could spell disappointment, but I'd really like to give it a try. I still plan on taking a couple of rifles along to go for yotes if the dog towns don't pan out.
Prairie Dogs

Return to Prairie Dogs