home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

favorite steadying device

Your favorite methods of varmint hunting

favorite steadying device

Postby muskyjohn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 am

What's everyones fav, mono, bi, or tripod,model make etc.? I use a trigger stick now,but I am switching to the camo Bog Pod bi pod.
muskyjohn
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: favorite steadying device

Postby Alaska Dave » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Shooting sticks and a bipod on the shotgun
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Archie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

When I was younger I loved my firearm attached bi-pods. I still have them and use them often, but I don't get up and down from my belly the way I used to with my arthritis and bum knee. Now I prefer "shooting sticks", and my favorites are my Ultrec Engineered Products bipod.

I bought it because they offer a Hunter Educator discount and they are out of Brookfield. I tend to try to support those who support me and local is always better. I will replace them with the same in the future due to the quality and utility. They are light, have a quick-change rest, and are very well built. The camo is also very good and stays on very well. I have a bi-pod for lightness, but they also make tripods, which look like they would be great if you don't mind the extra weight or you are filming the hunt (or just filming).

I also have a nice mono-pod that I bought from the NRA (also supporting those who support me), and it is nice as well. It is quality and very light. Not a trigger pod, but it is very solid when set up. I usually give it to my son and use the ultrec, but it is a pretty close second. The monopod is much less stable than a bipod, but it has its uses and it is much better than nothing. It also works great as a walking stick, so I would carry it up a mountain and leave the ultrec at home...
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Harris bi-pod with pivot
I have an older Caldwell bi pod that has more adjustment, but I don'r like the way it locks in place
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree Fox Hunter.

My favorite gun mounted bi-pods are the Harris' and I did buy a Caldwell and would not recommend it. I also don't care for the ones with the cant ability - they are "floppy" and don't really lock the gun in place. That greatly reduces accuracy. I find you are more accurate "fighting" the "short" leg and holding up the gun on that side with your arm than you are trying to hold a floppy gun straight.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 pm

I really like the cant/pivot. Works nice on uneven ground. The bad part, if you get one long enough to sit, it's too long to lay down. That was the nice part about the Caldwell. I may put it back on, but I don't hunt enough anymore to worry about it. Need me a hunting partner
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby yotefever » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 am

I use homemade shooting sticks made of two 5/8 dowels with a webbing to hold the gun and an elastic band I slide up and down to adj height.
Out west I use the second from right bi pod, made in Albany WI at Rock Creek Barrels. It locks and will not fold up but tilts, quick to take off and has plenty of 'traction' so it will not slip.
God, in his wisdom, When creating women, made a promise to men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. And then He smiled and made the earth round.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Tactical