home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Night hunting with light

Your favorite methods of varmint hunting

Night hunting with light

Postby yotebang » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:49 am

I read the WI regulations that state we cannot use a light to hunt coyote. Can anyone tell me why that is? I have a feeling a call to the DNR is in order, as well. Not that I think it's an unintelligent law, I'm sure there's a great reason, I just don't know it. Thanks for any help!

"Use of Lights:Aflashlight may be used to find your way and at the point of kill while hunting
raccoon, fox, and coyotes. Lights may not be used to shine or search for these animals.
‘Flashlight’ means a battery-operated light designed to be carried and held by hand" - as stated on page 15 of the small game regs.

Hoping to get out next week quite a bit once we get the cold and snow! I need to start knocking on the doors of farmers asap..
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Night hunting with light

Postby yotebang » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:35 pm

straight from DNR..

"Point of kill means at the time of shooting. In other words, you cannot use the light to search for the coyote, you can only use it to light the target at the time you are going to shoot."

"Ryan:
I understand. May I ask why this law was created? I assume to identify poachers?
Ross:
I believe that is a major factor. It looks very suspicious when there is a light that is shining in the dark for longer than a very short period of time."

That's too bad, but understandable, also. I would love to be able to hunt with the aide of light. Guess I'll have to wait out the moonlit snowy nights!
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotebang » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I want to apologize for posting something that looks like it's been reiterated on the site a few times in a different sub-forum! Just saw
some older posts about this topic. I suppose it's good to keep on the DNR about the topic, though, to try and get them to change the
law!
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

No need for apologies Ryan. That question continues to arise and you only made it easier for someone to find an answer. It is a little daunting at times for a new member or reader to wade through some of the posts to get to the older stuff. Perhaps at some point we can create a FAQ section to help get the information out quicker.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:09 pm

You can ask 4 DNR personel and one at the least will tell you NO light allowed. You are allowed a light at point of kill. When you feel that they are in range turn on the light and be ready to shoot. I use to do alot of coon hunting at night till the night I turned on the light and the coon was at my boots. Needless to say as others know I let loose a round out of the 22 and shot my steel toe boot :shock: Didn't do any damage but in my mind.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yotebang » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Wow Dave! I could see a lot of problems potentially arising with hunting anything at night without using light the whole time. I clicked my
spotlight on and off the other night. If a warden wants to be that anal I figure let him. I'd rather be safe than sorry out there! I'd be
curious the chance that the warden catches me in the middle of the woods, middle of the night, no houses or roads around with a dim red light?
Not saying it couldn't happen..
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Song-Dog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 pm

This law will be changing. Because of Act 21 I don't know how long it will take for the change to take place.
Once the change happens you will be able to scan while on stand and actively hunting/calling. You still won't be able to walk and scan. You need to be stationary.
When all else fails, keep shooting!
Song-Dog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotebang » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm

songdog, that's awesome news! I'll definitely be out hunting them more once they pass this law. I don't know if it's more effective
to hunt at night around me, but it sure is a lot more fun!!
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotebang » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:34 am

Shining
It is illegal to:
• use or possess with intent to use, a light (including vehicle headlights or laser sights
on firearms, bows, and crossbows) for shining any wild animal while hunting or in
possession of a firearm, bow, or crossbow. Note: Visually handicapped hunters with a
Class C Disabled Permit may use a laser sight for hunting.
• use or possess with intent to use, whether or not in possession of a firearm, bow, or
crossbow, a light for shining wild animals (including vehicle headlights) between
the hours of 10 P.M. and 7 A.M. from September 15 through December 31.

Note: Some areas may prohibit shining by local ordinance. Check with local sheriff’s
department or township officials for local shining restrictions.

Exceptions: Aflashlight may be used 1) while shooting coyote, raccoon, fox, or unprotected
species at the point of kill while hunting on foot, or 2) to find your way.
Flashlight means a battery operated light designed to be carried and held by hand.

Okay, I'm starting to get ticked off. I called and left a message Thursday for the local warden to call me back. Friday called three times and never got an answer from her. I'll argue this til I'm blue. To me, the first bulletin is stating we cannot use a light AT ALL EVER. The second bulletin is stating you CAN use a light from Jan 1st-Sept14th. The "exceptions" to me, state from Sept 15-Dec31 coyote hunters are allowed a light at point of kill. What do you guys think? Hopefully I can get a hold of the warden to let her know what I'm up to... It'd be a lot easier with a spotlight hunting at night around here..
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 am

Ryan, i've always turned the light on to scan quickly and then turned it off. I have done it several times on a stand and will continue to do it if I go at night.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yotebang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am

Okay guys, here's what I've been hoping for!
Sorry to plug another forum, if it's against any rules, please take it down or let me know and I will..
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes. And we have that same post by the same people who are members here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=974&hilit=Wisconsin+Folks+Scanning+Resolution from back in August of 2011.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby yotebang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Sorry Fitter my bad.
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Not a problem. There's a lot of stuff scattered around on here that isn't readily available. Heck a lot of members take quite some time before they realize there's more to the site than the forum.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Song-Dog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Fitter wrote:Not a problem. There's a lot of stuff scattered around on here that isn't readily available. Heck a lot of members take quite some time before they realize there's more to the site than the forum.

There is?? :shock:
When all else fails, keep shooting!
Song-Dog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Next

Return to Tactical