home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Coyote hunting in shotgun zones

Your weapon of choice

Coyote hunting in shotgun zones

Postby Berserker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Wondering what to use to hunt coyotes in shotgun zone. Under 100 yards. Was thinking shotgun slug. Be fun to use my Super Blackhawk .44mag, iron sites, but I don't have any practice handgun shooting over 25 yards. A .44 mag with scope sounds fun, but pricey. I don't want to put one on this gun. Like to practice with it longer yards.

I have Knight inline, but that can be a PIA, cleaning.

Is there any rifle calibers that can be used in shotgun zones? Can you use handgun calibers, 44, in a long gun?

Got some coyotes hanging around closer then I would like. I think one came out to window.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Re: Coyote hunting in shotgun zones

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 pm

I think it is illegal to use slugs for anything but Deer, during Deer Season.
#4 buckshot with the right choke can be deadly out to 50+ yards.
I used to hunt Coyotes in shotgun zones with a rifle, except Deer Season. BUT maybe the rules have changed. I haven't lived there in 17 years.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Berserker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I should probably talk to the DNR. Since deer season is shotgun in the area where my house is, I just figured it always is. I wouldn't getting a .223, just cause I don't have one.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby PREDATIM » Tue May 28, 2013 3:32 pm

It's been a couple years but I did ask the warden of St.Croix county about using
a rifle for predator calling/hunting in a shotgun only DMU. He said that it was perfectly
legal to do so. If I were you I would still confirm with a warden from the same area that
you plan to hunt.

Good luck..

Predatim
"AIM SMALL ....... MISS SMALL"
PREDATIM
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotefever » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:07 am

Some excellent shooting practice is silhouette shooting. Here are match dates for WI.http://www.ihmsa.org/match-schedule.html
You can learn how your gun shoots out to 200 yds.

Here is what the targets are like.

I shot it for 10 years and it helped me hunt/shoot deer, coyotes and fox here in WI and antelope,pd's and mule deer in WY.
You will get lots of help shooting at the matches, very informal, you are competing against yourself.

You may want to try a red dot on the 44, I got my in laws hooked on that setup for hogs and on deer drives.
God, in his wisdom, When creating women, made a promise to men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. And then He smiled and made the earth round.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 am

Hey Yotefever I edited your post so the youtube video appeared on the site.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby yotefever » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks, I don't post them here often enough to remember what I need to get them to work. On another site I just copy the part that comes up when you click on 'share'.
God, in his wisdom, When creating women, made a promise to men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. And then He smiled and made the earth round.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:20 pm

What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:44 pm

I know the questions is already sort of answered, but I can confirm. The shotgun only rule is ONLY for DEER HUNTING. You can use Rifles outside of deer season for anything you wish (unless prohibited, ie: waterfowl, turkey), anywhere you wish. However, I would be very careful about:

- Carrying or possessing buckshot during deer season - this will get you a huge fine, and "I'm going coyote hunting" won't get you any slack.
- Wearing Camo during the gun deer seasons, unless deep in the night and definitely not deer hunting. I usually avoid coyote hunting during gun deer altogether...
- using a .22 during deer season in any gun zone. This is the rifle of choice for night poaching, and is also explicitly outlawed for deer, so don't tempt the ire of the warden.

Hope that clears things up - I am not a warden, but if you read the rule book (which I have to do every year for Hunter Ed classes), it is pretty clear the prohibition is for deer only. It is also pretty easy to figure out what matters to the wardens and what doesn't if you really read it (intent comes across strongly in the way the rules are written). Most wardens do care about their jobs and the resources they are charged with protecting, and don't really "get off" on the power. Shure there are a few, but I find in Wisconsin they are really few and far between. Also, if you talk to enough wardens, you will find that they see the coyotes as a public enemy, but really value the whitetail deer (their meal ticket). They will not give you hassles or a hard time if they believe you are there with good intent and an educated view of the game rules.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Isn't Coyote or any other hunting during Deer Season, regulated by Deer Hunting daily closure rules? So Don't be out in the dead of night wearing camo and trying to hunt Coyote during the shotgun Deer season.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 am

Again, I don't do it (why scare the deer at night, they are already amped up), so maybe not. In fact you may be very right... I know you can hunt coyote w/ rifle after dark during bow season - but not a bow. Can you use a rifle (min 1/2 hour) after dark/before sunrise in shotgun zone? I would have to consult the rule book - that is why they print them... It is best to avoid piquing the ire of a warden during gun deer season. I generally take a couple weeks off from anything but deer in November...
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Varmint Calibers