home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

never come back ?

Crow hunting specific

never come back ?

Postby coyote243 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:57 pm

new to crow hunting. have called them in with my fox pro and some decoys about 3-4 times now and every time after the first shot they all fly away and never come back ? all I get is one show at the whole flock and they are gone ? sit and wait with caller going and nothing am I doing something wrong or is that how it works do you have to pick up and move after every shot?
coyote243

Re: never come back ?

Postby Fitter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 pm

I may be wrong but the most active crow hunter I've seen posting on the boards has been Predatim. He's shown some piles of crows they've killed. Your questions are probably the same questions many new crow hunters ask so hopefully he will have some advice to share with you and the rest of the eyeballs on the forums here. But by all means, if anybody has some input, please share. As always I'm curious myself.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Move your setup atleast 200 yards and change the sounds. Different decoy would help also.We usually make 2 sets on the 80 acre farm and then move across the road and do another 2 on the 160 acre farm. Change it up and you can fool them. We only do this once a year.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Archie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

I actually participated in a group crow hunt for the first time in my life last year, and we had three set-ups within hearing distance of each other - about 80 acres N/S of each other and about 60 acres from E/W.

We had the crows doing a round-robin for about 3 hours. It seemed like they would play along for a while, until a few got knocked out of the sky at each location, then would lose interest and leave. About 15 to 20 minutes later a different group would come in and do the same. It was hilarious. So were the misses, but we all got at least one, and there were 6 or 8 of us - those of us who were experienced got more per.

I doubt that was normal behavior for them, and certainly if you did that every weekend they would learn pretty fast. It was a very cold day in February, and apparently they were hungry. As I recall it was either the last day of the season or it was the last Saturday of the season. Dave is probably right - it helped that there was distance between them, and everyone was calling a little differently - we were "moving around and changing things up" without moving around. It is pretty impressive when you fill half a square mile with crow calls and lots of hungry live crows. I am sure all the animals in the kingdom were pretty well wondering what was going on.

My typical experience with crows is that you better shoot straight, because you only get one crack at them. I had about 50 in the yard last weekend, and have been a little sick of them tearing things up (and waking me up), so I knocked one out of the tree. I didn't see any more of them the rest of the day. Of course I had other things going, and did not bother trying to call or anything...
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yotebang » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:55 pm

I'll add to some already great advice.
They definitely learn fast, so don't over hunt the same crows, at least not with the same trick.
Use number 6's and a full choke. I never would've thought that trick would've helped so much, but since switching
I've dusted a number of those black squawkers. Lot's of 50 yard plus shots, it helps to have a pattern that holds
true at a distance and the more pellets the better. It doesn't take much to knock em down!

Ryan
yotebang
Silver Member
Silver Member

Return to Crows