home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

waukesha county

Find A Hunting Partner

waukesha county

Postby ICOPE2000 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Hello all!! I am very new and wondering if anyone would be willing to show me what in the heck I am doing while yote hunting? I am 37 yrs old and love hunting! I am more interested in the aspect of pelt hunting but I do want to get them to help save the deer! Also what equipment like gun set up i need & the calling aspect! I live on a farm that butts up to the southern kettle state forest, so I am not looking to per say steal your spot.
ICOPE2000
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: waukesha county

Postby m1garand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Welcome, thanks for trusting us to give some advice. While you are a bit of a travel from my Fond du lac location to hunt together, I can at least weigh in on your comments. I started out with a white bed sheet, mouth call and a Ruger mini 14 with a white sock pulled over it to camo it. Since the advent of You tube, I have been able to pick up many tips on hunting. On the front end, the most productive thing I can do to be successful is to hunt where there are yotes, (word of mouth, trail cams, DNR Wardens, farmers, etc.) Second, treat it like a cross between a deer hunt and turkey hunt. Silent, no movement, wind direction, camo, and be prepared to due the animal justice if you get one by knowing where you can take it to harvest the fur. You can google fur buyers and they'll be one around you. I think that early am is best but experience has not completly borne that out. I'm now sporting official winter camo and ghille suite, Fox Pro 2 caller(batteries good for about 4 sets in this cold), Primos decoy (with the ground frozen it is almost impossible to stake into the ground) and prefer a Remmy 700 in .223 with home made sticks and roll -up portable stadium seat for sitting.My sets are about 30-40 minutes long. Good luck!
Attachments
IMG_20140111_083712_916[1].JPG
m1garand

Postby eyetat » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 pm

It is getting to be yote time again I am thinking about hunting this year . I have not heard any song dogs near my place but I am close to the Vernon marsh just wondering if any one has heard any thing yet .My guess to soon after deer season.
eyetat

Postby m1garand » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Up here in the northern Kettle Moraine area we will have just finished muzzle loader and now will host a special antlerless hunt for another couple days so the woods are kinda beat up. I will not go out til after Jan 1st. Public land around here is not that productive, however I have a friend that invites me to his private stash. He has also told me that IOWA has heavy coyote densities and for a $100 license, we could go and hunt with a higher probability of success. If you look elsewhere in this forum, I have published data on coyote densities for Wisconsin.
m1garand

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 pm

I agree with most of what is written. If using a bed sheet be careful to pick the right one. Some will give a blueish tint, don't want that. I personally use all mouth calls, no decoy. I like to travel light, I'm a sissy. I shoot a bolt action 243. Before everyone freaks out and says the 243 isn't fur friendly, WRONG, I have a load worked up that the bullet very rarely exits the body. While walking to a stand, stay in the shadows, low spots etc. Anything to help hide you. When setting up, try to keep something behind you to breakup your profile.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Hunting Buddy