home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

first time coyote caller

Sounding the dinner bell

first time coyote caller

Postby Berserker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm

I hear coyotes around the house occasionally, last nigh heard them close by and yipping. I have been looking for excuse to buy a gun. Maybe bolt .243, Savage XP II with the accue trigger. I like the trigger,but price is right.

I recently bought a Milwaukee jobsite radio. Waterproog, and has a compartment for mpg. I was wondering about downloading or buying and using my phone, and putting it on airplane mode, through the radio.. I want to see if I can get one to come in, probably just use 30-06. Not as much fun sighingin in the winter, heart attack walking back and forth. Plus I really just want to get one right away. Though I am in the mood for a new gun, either 45-70 or long range shooter.

I know it is going to make a big hole, but if I am just going to put it on the wall, not sure if I care. Plus I have sewn hides, I did a hair on deer.

So curious about this method of calling one in? I realize it is a lazy approach. But I just want to see if I can get one to around the house, for starters. Maybe snowshoe back in the woods at my camp next.

Thanks
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Re: first time coyote caller

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:05 pm

any of the guns except 243 mentioned will not leave enough hide to sew to make a wall hanging. As far as the radio, should work if you don't get volume to loud. I would use distress type sounds. it's getting close to breeding season so maybe a female invitation
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Berserker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Looking at some pics on the internet, the problem with 30-06 doesn't seem to be the hole as much as the exit wound. Little different then a deer.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Berserker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Fox_hunter42 wrote:any of the guns except 243 mentioned will not leave enough hide to sew to make a wall hanging. As far as the radio, should work if you don't get volume to loud. I would use distress type sounds. it's getting close to breeding season so maybe a female invitation

I wasn't going to get the 45-70 for coyotes. I already own sighted in 30-06s with scopes. I just wanted to shoot one.

As for volume, I was going to crank it up full blast. How loud do you go?
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:10 pm

full blast will blow every critter out for miles. Try to imagine how loud a dying rabbit would be.

Yes your exit wound with those guns would be huge. The 243 also can be bad if using the wrong ammo
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fitter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 pm

You can grab a few mp3's here if you need some to try http://wisconsincoyotehunters.com/2012/ ... ote-calls/

I'm afraid my input on calling coyotes isn't worth a dime but, as with the calling of most wild critters, people tend to be too loud. It might not matter a couple hundred yards away but in shooting range it's a different story.

It might sound stupid but cup your hands around the back of your ears. Everything will sound greatly amplified. Yet this volume doesn't even begin to approach the level hearing of an animal like a coyote or deer. Those big ears are there for a reason. According to my grandpappy. :P
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 am

Since there was some by the house, and there is from time to time. I just wanted to see what I could do quick and easy. I have been thinking of getting into coyote hunting at some point. Nice to have something to do in the winter.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 am

Also curious, how long do you give a call, before you give up?
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:44 pm

let the call run 60 seconds or so then pause, repeat. I stay on stand 15-20 min
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 pm

60 seconds was alot less then I thought. But I suppose you don't want them walking up to the player. I can see how coyote hunting could be fun with, different strategies and such. Though not sure what to do with all the dead coyotes. I just want 1 or 2 for the wall.

Looked at Ruger America .243 today. Liked the feel. Barrel was dirty, and stickers were barely readable, so had been there awhile. Guy at the counter said it was from firing at range. Another, different caliber was clean. I told him so and left. I may ask them to clean it. Though begging someone to take my money bugs me.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:26 pm

when I say 60 and pause, the pause is only long enough to catch my breath, LOL just a couple seconds then back to calling. I use primarily mouth calls. Back in the day when I used an e-caller it had cassette tapes, the tapes had the pause built in.

If looking to use gun for coyote/fox only look into a 223. I shoot a 243 but use it for Deer also. I hand load for mine. I think Savage has some less expensive good guns, but stay away from an Axis.

If you happen to start killing bunches of coyotes, you can always sell them to hide buyers. Don't know where you are or if there is any close. Might have to google search for them in your area
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Not sure I would ever use the .243 for deer. I got 30-06s, and it is hard to shoot over 40s at my camp. But the idea is good. Though not sure if jack of all trade guns are best. My reloading books had .243 faster, which I liked. Necked down 308.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:39 pm

Fox_hunter42 wrote:w

If you happen to start killing bunches of coyotes, you can always sell them to hide buyers. Don't know where you are or if there is any close. Might have to google search for them in your area

I was hoping for good crock pot recipe.
Berserker
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 am

crock pot recipe??? That was a joke right :lol:
If you want fast go with a 22-250
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby coyote243 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 am

if you can find a way to do it easy and pile them up you let me know its not as easy as seen on t.v. lol
coyote243

Next

Return to Calls