home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Wolf Survey from Northland College

Wolf sightings and wolf hunting reports

Wolf Survey from Northland College

Postby practice-more » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Got a survey when I was leaving the grocery store last week. Survey was from the Northland College Wolf Ecology .... I don't remember the exact details.

Anyway, it was about 5 pages with some general wildlife questions, wolf questions and then the nitty gritty stuff on my opinion on wolf population management. The questions where fairly well written and neutral.

I tried to keep my responses professional and realistic. I don't think they should be eradicated, but the population does need to be controlled.

I'm going to wait a while an then e-mail to see if I can get a copy of the compiled results. I will post a follow up if I get them.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wolf Survey from Northland College

Postby Fitter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:07 am

That's interesting. Does the college take a position on the wolves as to whether they need to be protected or managed?
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:40 am

I'm not sure I want to go out on a limb and guess at their motives. They are a liberal arts school.

Like I said, the survey questions were written from a neutral standpoint with no real bias either way. On the other hand I'm not sure where they handed out the surveys, and if they were selective as to who got them. Technically they gave the survey to my wife (I wasn't there). Would they have given it to a full bearded guy in a camo Kubota jacket ... I don't know.

I'd really like to get my hands on the report, and hopefully it outlines not only the cumulative survey responses, but the methodology too. I just sent an e-mail inquiring about the survey.

A quick online search and I found this:
http://www.northland.edu/dir/erik-olson/
The research drop down tap has a short explanation.

I also found a article or two regarding some collaboration with the Timber Wolf Alliance. I guess I have to do some more reading.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:39 pm

This is the reply I received. It appears we will have to wait a while for results.

Dear Mitch,

My class is implementing the survey in Ashland and Bayfield Counties as a part of their class project.

The survey results won’t probably be available until next summer (methodology will be in the report as well).

We plan to do a press release when the report is finalized. Keep your ear open for that.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely,

Erik

Erik R Olson
Assistant Professor of Natural Resources
Northland College
1411 Ellis Ave., Ashland, WI 54806
Office 139 CSE
Ph. 715.682.1235
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Very well then.

I asked if they took a stance on wolves for the obvious reasons. I thought I remember posting news about something related, that states the college was involved in a program to promote the wolf's recovery. Usually you don't see wolf recovery and wolf management from the same entities that maintain a neutral position.

Around here, we don't receive the type of Michigan-related wolf surveys and such that they receive downstate Michigan where there are no wolves. It's because they want the sympathetic response to keep the wolf protected. I understand northern and southern Wisconsin deals with the same.

They know the response of most Yoopers will be hunt them. Trap them. Manage them. Call it what you will but don't let them become over-populated.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Wolves