home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Tried Shooting a Match

Competitive Shooting

Tried Shooting a Match

Postby practice-more » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 am

OK, so I stepped in WAY over my head this weekend. A friend of mine was shooting a small local match (11 shooters total) and invited me to join. I knew everyone there would have guns set up for this, mostly 6mm Benchrest and 308 with way more optic than my 4-16.

I however, wanted to shoot it as a learning experience with my RRA Operator III AR. I was way out gunned and way out skilled. The match would be 30-40 rounds (3 shot groups) at distances from 100 to 500, mostly from the bench.

Saturday was sight in and Sunday was the match. Sight in was rough because it was really set up for those who had very good marks and just need to make .5 moa tweaks. I struggled to get good numbers but oh well.

Sunday went much better. I volunteered to be odd man out when it came to getting paired up in teams. No need for me drag anyone else down and we had an odd number of shooters anyway.

I shot well at 100 and 200, holding sub-moa groups. Trouble was that I couldn't see my own shots so I had a couple decent groups that didn't score very well. First target at 300 was a great example of that. The 3 shot group was 1.25" wide by about 3" tall and centered 3" below the bull. After getting to see that target, I made a correction and shot the second 300 target much better, 12, 12, 10 on the turkey (shoot was a combo of bullseye and animal).

Beyond 300 it got ugly. I will say that my groups were very vertical. For example, at 500 I had a 3" wide group that had a 14" vertical spread. Nowhere near the sub 1" 3-shot group the guy next to me had.

In the past, I have had troubles with poor trigger control. Not jerking the trigger, but lateral movement that causes left/right misses. I was really concentrating on getting straight behind the gun and getting a clean trigger pull. I think my relatively narrow groups proved that I made at least some improvements here.

The vertical component of my groups was a little frustrating. I'm sure some of it was ALL me, in how hard I was settled into the front bags (I don't have a bipod) how hard my cheek was on the stock, etc. However, I'm also guessing that some if may have had to with velocity inconsistency in the ammo. I'm just shooting cheap Fiocchi factory loads with 50gn V-max. They work well for hunting under 200 yds, but I know they aren't designed to perform outside of that.

I think this is going to lead up to a post in the Reloading section, as I am gearing up to start the endeavor. Maybe some 70gn VLD's over Varget or H322 will help, but that's for another thread.

However, for any of you long range shooters, I'm open to hearing any advice or tips that might help me in the future.

We each had our own target out to 300, but shot multiple shooters per target beyond that. I will try to post a couple target photos when I get a chance.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tried Shooting a Match

Postby Fitter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Well, your results would blow mine away by a landslide.

I'm not a long range shooter. Most of my hunting on my property is practically hand to hand combat. And I also shoot factory loads. I'll be the first to admit when you guys start talking details and specs on weapons and ammunition I might as well be trying to decypher another language. But I still read it and slowly I learn a little bit from everyone here. And that's what this forum is about.

I wish I had some advice other than practice, practice, practice, but I don't.

In respect to jumping in and giving it your best shot Mitch, good for you. Congrats. From where I sit that's probably the first big step to becoming one of those other consistent shooters out there who seem to have it figured out. There are others on the forum who will have some real advice.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tried Shooting a Match

Postby practice-more » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks Fitter.

Most of my hunting has always been inside of 100 yards, but I have the opportunity to do some coyote hunting that could give a longer shot opportunity. I'm learning there are a lot of factors that go into making those longer shots consistently, but it's a fun learning experience.

I dug the targets out of my range bag and checked my groups with a caliper. P.S. I was the only one there using a Home Depot tool bag as a range bag. :lol:

It appears that I shot better than I thought. I guess it is easy to loose perspective when the guy next to you is shooing 1-2" groups at 400 and 500. That still proves that I have a long way to go thought.

Anyway, these are my 200 and 300 yard bullseye targets. Although groups are better than I thought, they are still extremely vertical, something I'm definitely going to work on.

As I stated, groups really opened up beyond 300 and fortunately I don't have any of those targets to dwell on.

200 is about 1.25"
2.21.16 200yd.jpg

300 is about 1.80"
2.21.16 300 yd.jpg

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Return to Competition