home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

COYOTE FEVER

Yote hunters specific

COYOTE FEVER

Postby stoltzy32390 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:35 pm

So i live in sheboygan wi. been coyote hunting for a couple years now. had some success not much. im lacking land and opportunity i believe. anyone else around the area that could give me some tips on areas to go where there is an abundance of these song dogs? been to the marsh and the kettles so far and get responses but havent pulled one out of there yet.
stoltzy32390

Re: COYOTE FEVER

Postby Fitter » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Welcome to the site. It's usually pretty quiet around here until the snow flies.

If you read through some posts in the Hunting Buddy section viewforum.php?f=30 you might find another local coyote hunter.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Thank you i appreciate it. Got the new alpha dogg call today going to try that out tonight.
stoltzy32390

Postby Fitter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:00 pm

We're in the same boat Stoltzy.

I've been running this forum and website for years but have made it openly clear that I am not a coyote hunter. Nor a Wisconsin resident. This year I plan to start chasing dogs on my own property rather than complain that I have too many of them.

As of two weeks ago I had a chance encounter with a neighbor whom I didn't even recognize, we pretty much keep to ourselves out here, and we spoke of teaming up this year to try and eliminate a few dogs. He owns property adjacent to mine and is also fed up with the high coyote numbers and low deer population around here. A mutual friend and neighbor who also owns connected property says he might want to get in on the hunting as well. Neither of this trio has ever hunted coyotes so it should be a good learning experience. The 3 Stooges go yote hunting. :lol:

I've had a handful of hand-calls for years and plan to put them to work along with all the great info this board has provided. I'm not anticipating a lot of success but I can absolutely say we have the coyotes to hunt.

Right or wrong, the neighbors and I all say the same thing. It sounds like we have 3 huge packs of dogs around here and our properties are bordering territorial boundaries. At times we hear the 3 different packs howling from a distance and when they get closer to one another it truly sounds like an all-out brawl. Vicious but kinda cool.

We also have a lot of bobcats around here so that might be a bonus.

Here's a link to one sneaking around my backyard viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2225 Picture quality sucks because the photos were taken through my dirty storm windows in late February.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Welcome Stoltzy,

Yep, it's a little quiet around here this time of year.

The fox-pro channel on youtube is a pretty good series to watch. I think there are 3-4 seasons of Furtakers.

I'm a little far north of you, and besides, I wouldn't be much help. I have fun, make some noise on hand calls, and occasionally kill a dog.

Good luck and keep us posted with your experiences.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Well thanks guys! yes ive had some success in the past. just lacking the land right now. i keep telling my buddies not to give up on it cuz once you get one your sucked in. its like getting a tattoo lol. ill try and attach a pic of my nice female i got last february. just trying to reach out and get input on everyone. i learn from everything i read and here and try everything and learn from my mistakes. im no veteran but i would love to guide hunt these things some day. just got to keep pushing and hopefully im done investing money now lol yes fitter take care of that kitty! lol ive never seen one where im at but to be honest you never know whats in those woods anywhere!
stoltzy32390

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:11 pm

fitter where in the u.p are you located? i lived in bark river for a couple years when i was a merchant marine in the great lakes. i really miss it up there lol
stoltzy32390

Postby Fitter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm along Lake Michigan. I don't get too specific with the location publicly these days because I've had distant neighbors watching one of my older forums at Water and Woods. They cleaned-out an entire family of gray foxes that I had been studying and researching for 3 years. These fox would come into the yard and bark. I never interacted with them other than rile them up with a distressed rodent call and see how they reacted. They treated my 2 cats like part of their family.

These are 3 members of that fox family.

gray-fox-3.jpg

gray-fox-2.jpg

gray-fox-1.jpg
gray-fox-1.jpg (19.34 KiB) Viewed 2897 times

The neighbor, who I never really knew personally, stopped here one day and asked if I had any more foxes. And then told me he killed them all. Crippled kit and all. In total there were 5 foxes. Hey, they're fair game but I learned a lesson.

But I know Bark River very well. I was there 2 days ago for a quick break on part of a 55 mile bike ride.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Ya i totally understand. Ya i had alot of yotes in my yard back when i lived there. i guess one guy in the area trapped 35 of them last year so i heard. i do have a gray fox under my belt. very cool animals!
stoltzy32390

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:38 pm

theres the beauty we got in february up in door county last year
Attachments
yote.jpg
stoltzy32390

Postby Fitter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Nice! She's a big ol' girl. Congrats.

I'm familiar with Door County as well. Plain as day along 35 on a clear day. Spent 3 summers as a kid picking/eating cherries in Egg Harbor.

I've actually been looking forward to a bicycle tour through that area and then hopping on the ferry to scoot across to Lower Michigan and making my way home from there.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stoltzy32390 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Ya she was a pretty good size. Had 3 of them come in about 30 yards from us. I was the only one with a light so we only got the one. But one is better then none
stoltzy32390

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Grey Fox are amazing animals to watch. I have seen them climb trees and rest on the limbs.
Right now is not the best time to hunt Yotes. Cold weather and deep snow. They get hungry. Spring when pups are born too, but lots of folks frown on that.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby stoltzy32390 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:27 pm

I love the winter months for coyote! Moonlight on the fresh snow! Makes it a very fun and calm relaxing time.
stoltzy32390

Return to Coyotes