home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Rubber Boots?

Open forum conversation

Rubber Boots?

Postby practice-more » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm

My feet get cold easy. There I said it.

When bow or rifle hunting deer from a stand, I have taken to using the boot blankets (don't remember which brand) and they work well. Blankets over an 600 gram boot and I'm good into the low 20's. Blankets over a 1200 gram boot and I'm good a ways below that as long as I have the combination of socks on.

However, I'm considering a pair of insulated rubber boots for coyote hunting. Hopefully something that will keep my feet warm and dry.

What do you have and what would you recommend?

Maybe I can score an end of season close out deal.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rubber Boots?

Postby Fitter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm the same with the cold feet plus I'm too damn hyper to sit still for more than a couple hours. So, it worked for me to get up and move once my feet start getting chilled.

I bought a pair of Muck fleece lined rubber boots in a camo pattern. They are the Muck Pursuit Supreme. You can find them using the product search here on the forum http://wisconsincoyotehunters.com/searc ... bber+Boots

A buddy referred me to them and I really like them. Actually I tested his as we have the same foot size. I also wade the stream banks in early spring with them when steelhead fishing. My previous insulated boots felt more like an icebox compared to these. I've had them for 4 or 5 years and I use, sometimes abuse, them often throughout the year and no signs of problems yet. Basically if it's wet I wear them unless the temps are too warm. They also have some pretty decent treads. Even in the slippery mud/snow I maintain a respectable footing.

I ordered mine from Cabelas and they were under $200 in the fall season. To me that's pricey but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again or obviously refer them. You should be able to find them cheaper during the summer months.

I checked their site just now and they claim they're good in the -40 to 60 degree farenheit range. I don't know about -40 but my feet have been warm on the stand and in the streams. It's gets pretty cold here in the U.P. Like I said, 2 hours on the stand and I'm done but not because my feet are cold with these boots. An all-day event might be different.

My previous pair was an insulated 1,000 gram and there's no comparison.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks much, that is exactly the type of review I was looking for.

I will put them on my list to try next time I get out MAN shopping.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Mitch, Have you tried a base layer type performance sock?

After a few years of bicycling/camping/backpacking/skiing, I've found my performance socks also help a lot to keep my feet warm and dry. In fact, in cold weather, I get double-duty from my cycling clothing by wearing it hunting. Hell I even wear it shoveling snow. It's made a big difference for me. I am literally head-to-toe base layered in cold weather.

My buddies won't wear it even though you can't see it. They call it spandex and most often come back to camp complaining of cold on the stand then sweat on their walk back. Ironically I sweat like a pig and suffer from cold feet but I'm comfortable and dry when I get back to camp.

The material is usually polyester or a similar synthetic blend. It weighs next to nothing, is more like a second breathable skin, and wicks sweat away from the body.

Merino wool is a great material for cold weather socks.

I use my calf-length polyester socks and the merino wool. I've completely ditched my old fashion thick wool socks.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:21 am

Fitter,

Yes, what you for a base layer makes a huge difference.

I typically wear thinner Smartwool socks under a pair of midweight Danner mareno wool socks, in boots that are sized not to be too tight.

Another thing for me is making sure my boots get dry over night. I have a small portable boot dryer that goes everywhere with me.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Darn my wide feet. I have wide toes and narrow heels and it makes finding boots difficult.

Last weekend I was able to try a pair of Muck Arctic Pro at a local store. I couldn't get a fit that I was comfortable with, either too narrow, too big ...

Aaahhh, the search continues.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm

:lol: Bummer.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am

Yes, I have duck feet!
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm

You quack me up :lol:

My feet are similar with longer than average pointer toes. Extra traction I always say.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Anything Goes