home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Gong Set

Let's not forget the small bores.

Gong Set

Postby practice-more » Mon May 29, 2017 6:54 pm

After re-working my Marlin 880 (other thread) I've been shooting quite a bit of 22 lr. The wife even enjoys it, but much more so shooting reactive steel than just paper targets. My experience is you don't need any fancy steel for standard velocity lead 22 lr, 1/4" thick plate works just fine.

I convinced her to get her own gun and a couple weeks ago we picked up a Savage Mark II Laminate Thumbhole Heavy Stainless and, for now, just moved the optics from my 22 to hers. This is a topic for another thread but the gun shoots!

Anyway, back on topic. I made a deal that I would build her a gong set. We had 2 other single gongs a friend made, but we wanted a "know your limits" set. FIY, that is a set of decreasing size where you start at the largest and work your way down, stopping any time to take your points or keep going and risk loosing them all with a miss.

The frame is 3 feet wide and 3 feet high. The 7 gongs start at 2.75" and go down to just under 0.5". It is built in three parts and easy to take apart to re-arrange, transport, etc (or in case I need to fix my welds, haha). It should be just about perfect for 50 yards.

I think this is going to be a fun one to shoot. I'll report back on how it works and holds up after we get a chance to try it out, provided that there is a break in the rain one of these days.

Mitch
Attachments
IMG_20170529_170140756.jpg
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Gong Set

Postby Fitter » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Very nice job on the gongs! I really dig that smallest gong. Sweet high pitched ring when you connect?

And I hear you on the rain. Most of my property is like walking on a sponge or a bog. I'm not looking forward to the swarms of mosquitos a few hot days will bring with all of this water lying around.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks Fitter,

It looks like they are forecasting for a few nice days now. I might finally be able to get my food plots planted.

My wife put about 30 rounds on the new gong set today and it seems to work very well. From the bench at 50 yards, the first 5 are pretty easy to hit, the last two are a little tougher. That is just the way I wanted it.

The steel does ring, but not as much as you think it would. It is enough to hear it, but more of a "dong" than a ring. They sure do spin around though.

Gong2.jpg

Next up on the project list is a dueling tree.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Dueling tree?

I frost-seeded some white clover in early spring. Just a small spot - 50' x 100' that I can see from the couch. Entertainment. All this rain has helped produce pillows of fresh green clover.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Nice work on the clover. I've got a 1/2 acre plot of corn in, but I have an acre of soybeans and two small 1/4 acre plots of deer mix (turnips, rape, clover, etc.) to get in yet. The next couple days look good. With all the moisture and finally some sun, things are growing great.

This is dueling tree. I'm drawing up a plan and getting a materials list together. Honestly, it probably won't get built for a while as my weekends are filling up fast. Two shooters compete to get all of the gongs on their side flipped over to the opponents side. I will probably set it up with 4-5" gongs for 22 pistols, but make it so that I can easily switch out the plates to smaller ones for rifle shooting. I'm thinking a total of 6 plates will give an overall tree height of about 4 feet. I will make it so that the forward lean angle can be adjusted and it will disassemble or lay down flat for transport.

Mitch
Attachments
Dueling Tree.jpg
Dueling Tree.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Ah, that's cool and sounds like a lot of fun. Do you limit the clip capacity when dueling?

Sounds like you have plenty of property for the food plots.

My options are really limited, very swampy, unless I want to hire some major machinery to come in and clear some land. So I stick with the clover and a little bit of rye here and there. Just something different, a treat if you will, for the deer to eat. And like I mentioned I enjoy watching them browse.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 am

I suppose each shooter would need the same number of rounds. Accuracy is key because if you miss, your opponent gets the advantage.

I have about 10 of the 40 acres that are overgrown old pasture/hay field. I thought I had a local farmer that was going to hay crop it last year, but he bailed on me so now I'm just having fun putting in a little food for the deer, turkeys, etc. I had a young doe that came in to one of the small plots several nights last year and I got to watch her pull turnips from the ground and eat them. I'm not sure how many big bucks snuck behind me while I watched her, but oh well.

Depending on how my corn/soybeans take, I might be looking for something to fall seed to provide an early spring food source next year. Not sure what I'll do yet, but I'm betting there will be a few bare areas in the bean field that I can experiment with.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Cool and rainy so I spent most of the weekend in the shop working on the new dueling tree. I still have a little touch up and clean up to do before I can paint it, but I was able to test it out tonight and it works great.

The target paddles are 4" square which seems to be just right for 20-25 yard rimfire pistol shooting.

Mitch
Attachments
6285.jpeg
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:44 am

Looks good to me Mitch. I don't imagine that fresh paint will be stuck to the paddles for too long after a full day of shooting.

Would it be possible to post a pic of the backside? I think some of our viewers would be interested in making one of their own and a pic of the back would be a big help.

Also, I'm kind of envious of that view. Very nice. Beyond my yard and my pond I have no view on my property that stretches even close to 100 yards. Heck, 50 yards for that matter.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks, the view is great. There is some kind of wildlife in the field almost every night.

Can't do much outside with the rain so I hope to put the finishing touches on the fabrication tonight. I can certainly take a few "how it's made" photos to share.

The whole thing is built with a battery drill, hand grinder, borrowed chop saw and a little Hobart H140 welder using makeshift sawhorse tables in my dirt floor barn/shop. There isn't anything fancy to it! I do pride myself on some of the OVER-engineering that goes into it though.

Also, I have access to a CAD drafting system so I have dimensioned plans for almost everything I build. If anyone wants plans, all you have to do is ask.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 am

Here ya go.

The base is made from 1x1x1/8 tubing.
The main mast is 2-1/2 x 1/4" angle
The paddles are 4" square by 1/4" thick. (this seems to hold up well to 22 lr ONLY)

The paddles are welded to an arm that is then welded to a tube that fits over the axle rod that just slides into place. This way I can disassemble by just lifting the rod out for repair or version 2.0 upgrades.

The mast is connected to the base with a 1/2 diameter pin so that the forward lean angle can be adjusted to make sure the paddles flip and don't bounce back or not make it all the way over. The lean angle is then set by the back brace that has 5 adjustment holes drilled in it. This also makes for easy takedown for transportation.

Overall it stands about 5 feet tall and has about 50lb of steel in it. I could have lightened the mast and "shelves" welded in the back of the mast, but I tend to over build things. It actually got over over-built because the steel yard gave me a 5/8" (instead of 1/2") axle rod which meant I needed larger tubing for the paddles. They have a little slop/sag to them that I may look into adjusting later but for now they work just fine.

Now I just need to break it down and paint it.

Mitch

P.S. Fitter, I made sure I got a little better view in the last photo, just for you!
Attachments
IMG_20170628_183520470.jpg
IMG_20170628_183622633.jpg
IMG_20170628_183608222.jpg
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:04 am

Excellent! Nice job!

If that were my property in the background you'd see standing water. Probably a duck paddling past and Noah's ark with a fleet of critters. Seriously. It's miserably beyond soggy around here.

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm sure others are enjoying them as well.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Rimfires