home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Meyer Falls Bear Attack

This is where you can post events and news from around Wisconsin.

Meyer Falls Bear Attack

Postby Fitter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:02 am

FLORENCE, Wis. (WLUC) - Officials from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Wednesday have confirmed a bear attack occurred last Friday.

It happened around 5 a.m. near Meyer Falls in the town of Florence and injured a 64-year-old man. He was treated for two puncture wounds and a small cut. The victim, along with a woman, are both employees of the Nature Conservancy and were conducting a bird survey when the attack happened.

DNR officials say the bear was not much bigger than a large dog. It charged at the two and bit the man on his right thigh.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/con ... 21171.html
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Meyer Falls Bear Attack

Postby practice-more » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Yikes. It is usually cubs and food that drive attacks.

Story is a little conflicting that the bear was the size of a dog, yet believed to be a sow protecting cubs. Also a good chance that they just startled a yearling.

I saw the first one of the year around my place last week while walking the dog.

Looked to be a good sized lone boar (no cubs) as he crossed the road about 200 yards in front of me. He looked tall, but thin this time of year. I'd guess by fall he would be over 300 lb.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:43 pm

In late April I had a bear visit. Around 3 a.m. I noticed the security light turn on and caught the bear standing up on the patio about to mess with a bird feeder. The feeder stands 6'2" and the bear was a little taller. About 6 and a half feet. He looked very healthy for that time of the year. Excellent dark coat. I guess about the same weight as yours Mitch. Around 300-350 pounds. I didn't get a good look at him on all fours. Actually it seems most of the bears I see around here are very similar in size.

I chased him off and he hasn't returned.

I've seen bears nearly every year since I moved here 23 years ago. Enough so that I named the cabin The Bear Den a few years back.

the-bear-den.jpg
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

That's a great looking cabin!

I haven't seem them that close to my house, but I know there area few around. Hopefully I draw a WI tag in another year or two. I shot one about 12 years ago and stopped putting in for points when I was out of state. I think I have 4 points now so hopefully I get one soon. I'd like to stock the freezer with bear meat again and maybe have a skull to keep. I did a rug with my last one, but there was no skull left.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Return to Wisconsin News