home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Looking for an e-caller

Sounding the dinner bell

Looking for an e-caller

Postby practice-more » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:15 am

Deciding to get an electronic call for this year, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to regret buying junk either.

What does everyone else use, and what do/don't you like about it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the FoxPro Inferno. They are $200, but if I order it directly from FoxPro, I can custom pick which 75 sounds it comes with.

Open to other's opinions and experience though.

Thanks,

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Looking for an e-caller

Postby Alaska Dave » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 pm

I went with the foxpro FX3 years ago. took me 4 months to finally figure out which 31 calls I wanted. I have only wished that I had not got 2 of them, lol.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby practice-more » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks Dave,

I did a lot more looking last night and was debating between the FoxPro Inferno, Banshee and JackHammer.

The Banshee and the JackHammer came with more sounds, but the same remote a general capabilities as the Inferno, and they cost $100 more.

I ended up ordering an Inferno with a custom sound list (no extra cost) direct from FoxPro. It should arrive mid next week.

Hopefully I don't regret not getting a higher model, but I just couldn't see the advantages unless I was willing to jump to the $400+ range for something like the Fusion or the Shockwave.

The coyotes have been howling morning and night around my place. As soon as I fill my archery tag and we have a little snow on the ground, I'm going to get after them hard!

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Inferno arrived yesterday. I unboxed it, installed the batteries and set up the programming, but I haven't taken it outside yet.

First impressions are:
1. It is a very small unit, not much bigger than a 20oz bottle. I hope its physical size doesn't reflect its capabilities, time will tell.
2. The remote seems very easy to use. Going through the functions and presets was fairly intuitive.
3. I played a couple of the sounds in the house on very low volume and they sound good ... to my ears anyway.

I'm looking forward to testing it out, seeing what type of volume it is capable of, what range the remote has, and how the batteries last.

I'll report back once I know more.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Let us know how everything works out. I was watching a coyote hunting show yesterday and it looked exciting as hell. Of course, that was a show with prime property etc. but still, looked like a blast.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I was hoping to have a full report with some fur down, but that's not the case. I've had the caller out twice now, but haven't called anything in.

So far the call has worked well. The sounds seem to be of good quality and the volume is "ok". I don't know if it would be the best call if you were really trying to reach out there in windy conditions but, for my purpose and use, I think it is going to work well.

I just threw a new of good rechargeable batteries in it. With only 2 uses, I can't say how they last, but in two half hour sessions the battery display hasn't dropped.

One time I had the call set out at about 20 yards and the other at about 60 yards. Both times the remote functioned well.

I'll give an update when I've had a chance to use it more.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby practice-more » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Now that I've had a chance to fully use the call, I can say that I'm very happy with it.

1. The volume is loud enough for what I do. I don't have much experience with other calls, but I think it is OK.
2. The range of the remote is GOOD. I have been setting the call up on an old tripod that I have. With a clear line of sight, I've had no problems out to 150 yards, and haven't tried any farther than that. Not sure I need to.
3. Battery life appears to be GOOD. I did buy a good set of rechargeable batteries and, even in the cold, they do well. I've made 5-6 stands in the 0 degree weather and they are still showing about 1/2 battery. It is a bit of a pain to have to remove the batteries to charge them but, it works.
4. Speaking of the cold, the display screen on the remote does get a little "slow" in the cold weather. Say you change the volume, it may take it a second to change the light up on the screen. Not a big problem unless you are trying to quickly scroll through sound lists. However, this only seems to happen in real cold temps after the remote has been out of my pocket for 10 minutes.
5. I custom picked the sounds when I ordered it. The sound quality is good and overall I have plenty of sounds to choose from, but they may sucker me into buying a couple more.
6. The "fox-bang" feature that automatically starts playing a preset after you shoot works well. I guess I haven't seen the feature be effective, but I know it works as it should and I can see how it could give you a better chance at a second shot.
7. The timer on the remote is very handy for keeping track of time on stand, how long you've let a sound run, etc. It starts as soon as you turn the remote on and just counts up.

I have called in several coyotes with the call and just haven't been able to capitalize for one reason or another.

There are a few coyotes running around my place but the neighbor kids have been out calling and educating them every week. With the cold temps and the wind right tonight I decided to give it a try, knowing I was going to have to try something different. I pretty much used coyote vocalizations and had a coyote skirt by me in the thick stuff twice in the first 30 minutes of the stand. Knowing he was around, I kept at it and at the 40 minute mark decided I would finish with a pup distress. At about the 44 minute mark he came out and sat in the clear, where I put him down. Not sure that I would have been able to pull this off with hand calls. "Knowing" I was making non-threatening coyote vocalizations gave me the confidence to take that calling approach to the stand and it worked.

P.S. The gun in the photo is the .223 that I detailed the build of. Feels good to finally get fir with that one.

Mitch
Attachments
IMG_2766.jpg
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Very nice.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Excellent! A review and a dead dog. Can't argue with results. Thanks Mitch.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Calls