home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Public service announcement:

Open forum conversation

Public service announcement:

Postby practice-more » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 pm

The snow is deep!

That is all, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Public service announcement:

Postby Fitter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 pm

You aint shittin.

couchview.jpg
From the couch.

window.JPG
I can see!
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby practice-more » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm

From the couch might be the best way to enjoy it.

This summer I bought a 12x60 Alaskan snowshoe kit. The problem is that I’ve lacked motivation to actual do the lacing work until the snow was so deep that I actually needed them.

I got the tail and toe sections laced, hopefully I can tackle the center sections this week.

Mitch
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Snowshoes are a must at the moment. I tried to take a walk and forget about it. I was wiped out in short order. It's going to be a tough year on the deer. Good for the coyotes and other predators.

I found this about a month ago when we were in the midst of that arctic vortex. I had wandered outside about 2 a.m. for an armload of firewood from the patio and could smell the death. Figuring it must have been a deer on the road I grabbed the flashlight and found nothing but the smell got stronger. I listened for quite a while expecting to hear coyotes but not a single yip. Two days later I found this about 100 yards from the cabin.

They must have taken the deer down around the time I was outside. Otherwise I doubt the scent would have lingered in that -25 below temps. I did find a pair of bobcat tracks in the fresh snow that had fallen. I realize they can take down a deer but I have my doubts. The pair of tracks leads me to believe it was a mating pair as it's that time of the year. It does lend implication to that fact that I heard no noise and that each limb of the deer was intact. Usually with coyote kills the carcass I find are strewn about.

Either way. Life and death struggle every day in the woods.

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Anything Goes