home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Custom 10/22 Build

Let's not forget the small bores.

Custom 10/22 Build

Postby practice-more » Wed May 01, 2019 8:05 am

I really should call this an "assembly" rather than a build.

I decided to put together a 10/22 for a lady who wants to shoot with us at our matches. Most of us run bolt guns but with a bad shoulder I think she would be better off with a semi-auto. I started out trying to find a production gun that I thought would work. Accuracy was the first and foremost requirement with weight being the second concern. I really wanted a gun that would hold sub 3/4" groups at 50 yards and sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards. It needed to be light enough to be manageable for her but not so light that if felt unsteady.

I looked at a few Rugers, the new TCR/22 and a couple others but just wasn't satisfied with the offerings. The best "production" option I could find was one from Tactical Solution but they start at around $900 and I'm not super fond of the carbon wrapped barrels.

I ended up ordering the following:

Brownells railed receiver (upgraded machining, rear cleaning port and integral rail)
Brownells stainless bolt assembly
Powder Custom skeltonized bolt handle/rod/spring (extended length and lighter with an upgraded spring)
Victor Company Titan stock (target style stock with free-float channel)
Volquartsen 2000 trigger (extended mag release and auto bolt release)
Green Mountain 16.5" stainless fluted .920 barrel
Misc pins, buffers, screws, etc.

The original plan was to build this gun with a Ruger BX trigger. They are supposed to be about 3.5 lb (verses the 6.5 of a stock Ruger) but after assembling the gun and test firing it with a spare stock Ruger trigger I had on hand, I decided that it was probably worth it to install a Volquartsen. Midway just happened to have them on sale too. This was a $140 upgrade to my original build budget but I'm sure it will be worth it.

The assembly is pretty easy. You slide in the bolt handle, hold the spring back and set in the bolt. This is the same thing you do if you disassemble for cleaning. The barrel simply slips into place and is held in with two screws and a v-block. Some people warn that you may have to sand the barrel tenon a little but mine was perfect.

That's it, drop it in the stock and you are done.

I topped with a 4-16 Vortex Diamondback HP that I had taken off another gun.

So far I've only fired a few rounds to start the barrel break-in, but it looks like it will be a shooter. I'll try to get a couple photos posted later. If anyone wants more detail on the components for the build, just ask.

Mitch.
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Custom 10/22 Build

Postby practice-more » Sun May 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Here it is!

1. A 5-round, 50 yard group with CCI SV doing barrel break in. It still had a stock trigger in it when I shot this. It may get a little tighter than this, but if not, I'm still happy.
IMG_3119.jpg

2. Complete gun with the trigger upgrade. I took it out for a photo shoot today to send to the lady who is getting it.
IMG_3191.jpg
practice-more
Silver Member
Silver Member

Return to Rimfires