home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

DOE ANYONE USE NIGHTVISION?

All optical topics here

DOE ANYONE USE NIGHTVISION?

Postby bgn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:03 pm

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE USES NIGHTVISION AND HOW WELL IT WORKS.
ALSO WONDERING HOW THEY USE IT, FOR SPOTTING OR A RIFLE SCOPE.

THANK,
BGN
bgn

Postby Adrian1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:36 am

for the first time this year i tried using a night owl might vision monocular. i had my stand set up over a grass field and got to it at about 5:00am. the monocular was great for watching deer move all around me before shooting hours. when legal shooting time came around i knew exactly where they were. i plan to make it a permanent addition to my deer hunting gear.
greetings from river falls
Adrian1

Postby 1dahunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:52 am

I used it when I was in the Military, Man I'd love to be able to afford one now. That would make yote hunting a little easier. Jimmy
NAHC Life Member
GOA Contributer
1dahunter
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby yotefever » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Just remember it is considered shinning if you use an IF illuminator in WI.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dogduster » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:20 am

what I get from reading th regs is, a flash light (a light Designed to be operated by hand and battery operated). So it seems gun mounted lights are out but a battery operated spot light is fine, but no scanning for eyes. It's point of kill with a light.
The latest night vision does not use a IR illuminator so it would not be considered shining and totally legal?????
It also costs $6000!
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotefever » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:50 am

From what the dnr told me it has to emit a light, even if you can't see it, to be called shinning.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Badger2Tony » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I've already posted this in the Coyote section, but here is my response from "Holly" at the DNR...............

It is actually illegal to not only to use, but also to possess with the intent to use, an IR light to locate wild animals with night vision equipment.

So to say it is legal if the IR is turned off, is not completely accurate. Although more difficult to prove, If the state can show that the person was intending to use the IR light, it would also be illegal to have while hunting with a firearm or bow.

Basically, this means that simply possessing an IR light would make you susceptible to receiving a citation due to the following state statutes:

(4) Shining wild animals while hunting or possessing weapons prohibited.
(a) Prohibition. No person may use or possess with intent to use a light for shining wild animals while the person is hunting or in possession of a firearm, bow and arrow or crossbow.

The second part of your question would also be no, it is not legal to use a light to identify an animal, because this basically amounts to shining. If you only turn your light on when you’re fairly certain you have your animal nearby and in sight, then that would qualify for point of kill.

I hope this helps,

Sort of helped. My interpretation is no IR, even possession, and visible light is debatable. If it is not legal to use a light to identify and animal, then why would I need it at point of kill? I think possession would probably work with a conventional hand held white light.

I should try some day calling and see what happens......................
Badger2Tony

Re: DOE ANYONE USE NIGHTVISION?

Postby pccraig » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:03 pm

What about a first gen "starlight" scope ?
pccraig

Postby Archie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Night vision is clearly illegal if you look at the regs! I would not want to be in possession of night vision and a firearm - ever. That is asking for a hefty fine.

Here is some food for thought: If night hunting coyote or racoon, is possession of a gun-mounted instant switched light legal - AS LONG AS you don't use it for shining (as discussed above)? A handheld light is considered completely legal, but it is much less handy. It needs to be "designed to be hand-held", but can it be attached to your firearm? It seems to me this would be strictly use at the point of kill for identification of target as well as "being aware of your target and beyond. DON'T ever use it for general lighting, though! It is not only an invitation for a ticket from the DNR, but it is a major breach of hunter safety common sense. If you think "What was that?" and shine your light on it, you are also aiming in the general direction of an unidentified noise.

Anyone care to run with this line of reasoning? I think it is logically safer, but I am also smart enough to understand that MANY fools would abuse this loophole to pieces, as well as justify it's illegal use easily. That would probably give a warden a pretty dim view of it's legality right out of the gate.

I don't know what the problem is with a stationary light (hand-held or not) that generally lights the area? It would largely help keep things safe, and I don't see where it allows cover-up of shining if it is stated as "stationary". Then one could put a red light on a decoy and shoot those that come into the lighted perimeter after proper identification.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Archie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 pm

I also forgot to mention that I have a totally sweet Trijicon scope that costs a mere fraction of a night-vision system that sees nearly as good with a little moon-light and has a lighted reticle. The tritium night-glow reticle is legal for use in the state of Wisconsin, and removes all the questions. I don't like to hunt in total darkness anyway - this is very dangerous both to the hunter and to anyone, or anything, else in the woods. A coyote rifle will exceed 1.5 miles in danger distance, and even a shotgun will travel hundreds of yards! You better be able to see across the field or into the woods a ways before you pull the trigger to be sure you are not perforating your partern, the land owner, or the neighbors.

There are only a few nights a year where hunting is safe and possible, but it is a magical time to be in the woods!
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Talked with the local DNR and was told that if I was hunting for coyotes with night vision it was OK. I dug out the Pulsar N750. :roll:
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Go get 'em Dave! I've never used night vision but that would be pretty slick to try out on these raccoons I have again this year. I popped one the other night and that's how it always begins. Now they'll spawn in numbers like a video game. :evil:
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Another Game Warden just told me NO. Because of the ir light. :cry:
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Eh, it's too bad the people who enforce the law can't get their shit together.

If I recall correctly their was a similar back and forth regarding shining here on the forums.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Optics