home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Using BuckShot Loads

For all your shotgun needs post here.

Using BuckShot Loads

Postby Swift » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:37 pm

I've read a few posts on fellow hunters using buckshot loads for close in work, namely 00 and#4. I'm reading the regulations stating that nothing larger than BB until after Dec 8th. If so, are we talking late winter-early spring shooting or am I mis-reading something here?

My thinking is BB is awefully light for Coyotes, or ???
Swift

Postby yotefever » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 pm

I would go on the dnr website and get an email address and send them an email, then copy it and take it with you hunting, I find the wardens very lacking in knowing coyote hunting regs. While you at it find out about the use of lites now that it's legal, but only at the point of kill ???

Mike
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dogduster » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 pm

from what I understand you cant use buckshot or shot larger than BB until after the deer season is over. But lead BB or #2should work.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby brewcityyote » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:23 am

Yea, dogduster is right. You can't shoot that until December once the deer season is said and done. As far as the point of kill issue goes, I had my younger brother ask a warden at his hunter's safety course and he said point of kill is just turning on the light just before you pull the trigger. If I'm not mistaken, the regulations also mention that it is illegal to hunt with a spotlight, but there really are no specs on how big the light can or can't be. Just think of the variety of differnt lights that mount to scopes. I'm going to have to send them and email and get some clarification on that.
brewcityyote
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby dogduster » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Acually I believe you an not use until all deer seasons are over, including bow season. Which runs till January 5th or 7th by me anyway,I could be wrong.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby yotefever » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:58 pm

It would be interesting to ask five different wardens and see what answers are given.
yotefever
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dogduster » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 pm

probably 5.

so all you can do is carry as much credible info on your person as possible(the little they put out) and try to explain why you think you are following the law. And pray the agree.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby WICOYOTE » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:43 pm

The light law states it is unlawful to scan for game. So when we are searching a tree for coon when the dogs are treed what is it we are doing? awfuly gray area there as a collective group we need to get the regs to read more to the fact of scanning for game and maybe give them the rifle and only use shotguns much like MN regs read. IMO it is nearly impossable to coyote hunt at night without scanning unless it is a snow covered full moon night.
I'D RATHER HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT
WICOYOTE
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby dogduster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 am

I mostly agree with giving up the riffle at nigth, because how long of a shot is safe in the dark. maybe give up the centerfire at night but keep the 22mag option for shots in the 45- 100yd range. that would be fine for me if I could scan with a light. I live in SE WI where it is more heavily populated, the guys up north or less populated areas might dissagree and may be able to take longer shots at night more safely.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby dogduster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:13 pm

what choke do you guys use when shooting 00 buck?
I have been using xtra full turkey choke with #4 buck and the pattern is almost too tight :twisted: you have to be fairly accurate for close shots.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:39 pm

I had a Benelli Nova, shooting 3 inch #4 buck and 00 buck. I purchased a H.S. Strut Coyote Killer choke tube. This had an inside Dia. of .687. This was way to tight, I couldn't get it to pattern good at all. This tube was designed for Hevi Shot Dead Coyote shells.
Another website I go onto the guys in there said to use a full choke with #4 and 00 buck. They also recommend not using 00. They all said #4 will pattern better.
The Dead Coyote loads with the right tube are supposed to be good out to 60 yards +. I can't afford to pay $30. for 10 shells to practice, so I stay with my rifle and sold the shotgun
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dogduster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:25 am

Dead coyote is also out of my price range. I also dont like 00 besause there are only 15 pellets but thats all I could find at our local Wal-Mart. I definatly prefer #4 buck. Maybe I'll go back to a modified choke when using 00.
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby coyotecold » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 pm

BB lead with a full choke will reach out and touch them. The reason I like BB is that in a 2 3/4 inch shell I have 56 pellets. Thats alot more possibilities of getting that yote than 9 to 16 pellets. Buy a box out and pattern your gun at 45 yard and see the results for your self. You should pattern a shot gun any time you try a new brand of shells or different load, its amazing what you will you see.
coyotecold

Postby Alaska Dave » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 pm

#4 with a mod choke has been working well all these years. I have around 8 different chokes running Imp Mod to XFull and Mod has been a better one on the pattern board
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Shotguns