home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Tanning

Procedure of fur and pelt care

Tanning

Postby kmeyer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:57 am

Just curious, where do you all send your pelts for tanning?
kmeyer
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby young Gun » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:21 am

i have a friend of mine that does tanning, so i don't have to go fare to get mine done .
young Gun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bgn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:29 pm

i just took mine to a local taxidemist, he charged $89
bgn

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:55 pm

$89 dollars seems very expensive to me. Is that about normal just for tanning?

Postby kmeyer » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:55 pm

Thats me up there:) Forgot to log in again.
kmeyer
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby bgn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:06 pm

i called around to 4 different taxidemist and they all said $80-$95
bgn

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:36 am

I found this place in Minnesota. The will tan pretty much anything. A coyote is $19 and a additional $11 if they flesh it.

http://customweb.usafoxx.net/

Tanning Pelts

Postby OzHunter » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:47 pm

Some friends have used home tanning kits of different varieties with mixed success. You'll have to find the right one for you. I've sent a couple things to USAFoxx with good results and good turn-around time.

On another note, if you want to investigate this further, I once read about the old indian way of tanning hides in a Gordon MacQuarrie story. It had to do with using deer brains and then smoke tanning over a low fire. Again you'll have to research this to find out exactly how it was done. But if all it takes is some "deer mind" and a fire sure sounds cheap to me. I plan on getting more info myself somehow. Supposedly too, it left a real soft and flexable hide.

Hope you can use this info.:-)

OzHunter
OzHunter

Postby bgn » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:49 pm

JUST GOT MY PELT BACK A FEWS FEWS AGO. HUNG IT ON THE WALL IN THE FAMILY ROOM. LOOKS GREAT. BUT I CANT BELIEVE IT TOOK 10 MONTHS TO GET IT BACK. OH WELL.

BGN
bgn

Postby Archie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 am

I bought a tanning kit a couple of years back for about $20 and did four deer hides, a rabbit, and a squirrel by myself last fall. I skinned and salted the hides to save them up over the two years, and did them all at the same time. They were not that hard to do, but it is time consuming. Cost per hide - about $4 - squirrel and rabbit were "free". The deer hides are every bit as good as anything done professionally (except the one that got wet in storage).

I highly recommend trying it once for the sake of doing it, but do it when it is cool out, but not winter. You will use a LOT of water, and it is best to do it outside (acids, rinses, and shampooing). Your marriage will last a lot longer. Also DO NOT get the hides wet, except as part of the process. If you slip the hair in your wife's dryer she is like to skin YOU!!!!
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby coyotecold » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:02 pm

If any one is intersted in fox tanned for $12 and coyotes for$19 and short turn around e-mail me
Thanks coyotecold
coyotecold

Postby pounder67 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:28 am

Has anyone else tried tanning at home? Any good recipes with good results? I checked out some on the web. A lot of them have battery acid as an ingredient. Where does a guy get that? Also---I've been out a few times in the last week. No dogs to speak of.
pounder67

Home Tanning Derr Hides

Postby Duffy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:15 am

I have two fallow deer hides in the pickling stage and need to "shave" the hides next. I think I did a pretty good job of fleshing but am concerned about this next step.

When I rolled the hides around in the pickling mixture they seemed to have more material that loosened up during pickling and may come off easier. Should I use my skinning knife and just shave down the hide or do I need to do something more?

I called a taxidermist and asked him about doing the fleshing at this stage and he wanted $30 for each hide to use his fleshing wheel on them. This seemed high to me as like I said, I think I did a pretty good job in fleshing up to this point.

Any advice?
Duffy

Postby Archie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Not sure... But I think a fleshing wheel is kind of like a wire wheel on a grinder, is it not??????

The ones I did I just used my hunting knife to flesh. If you have done a good job of that, then you just need to make the skin a little thinner if you wish to have a nice soft supple hide. I used my knife again, and simply worked in the same plane as the hide - NOT through it. It works much the same as the fleshing step, but the hide is now gooey and slimey (nice words, but they work perfectly). You have to be careful, but they do give quite a bit because they are wet. I can't imagine that a fallow deer will need a whole lot of thinning. I probably spend an hour a hide in my garage on a saw-horse table with a cardboard box to rub the goo and hair off into. If you are going to make a flat wall hanging that people will pet or look at, but not cuddle up under, you probalby don't even need to do much thinning. A little stiffness will be nice to have.

The key to keeping things soft and supple is the buffing stage (I used a handheld wire brush), tumbling (do NOT use heat), and the oil you use when done. Dry it slowly and brush/tumble it often without heat. Good Luck, and let us know how it turned out.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone notice?

Postby Big_Willy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 am

Has anyone noticed how many hits this topic has had, there can't be that many people that have hides to tan out there.

I wonder how many chicks googled tanning to get that perfect bikini tan and were directed here...LOL....They want to tan a different kind of hide. My favorite kind.

BTW any one interested in doing the tanning like they've done for hundreds of years, just Google "brain tan" or "brain Tanning" with quotes. All kinds a info....

Enjoy your tan

Bill
Big_Willy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Return to Pelts