home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

urban predator rifle

Let's not forget the small bores.

urban predator rifle

Postby dogduster » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 am

This fall I aquired a 22 mag for hunting in populated areas where centerfires are not permitted. It's dead on at 40yds but need to take it to the range to see what it can do before taking it calling.

I'm looking for a round suitable for coyotes out to 75yds or so. Riight now I have 40gr copper jackets (head shots?) and 33gr v-max (probably a little light for the job)

Has anyone had success with a particular factory load?
dogduster
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:52 pm

Winchester black box, 34 grain . Shoots accurately.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Archie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:17 pm

I know this is a year overdue, but I thought I would try to help out if it is not too late, or learn something if it is...

I have been pretty tight with my .22 mags. I have owned two of them - One was a VERY pretty stainless barreled Laminated stock that I bought with the wife's recommendation (who am I to argue???). The other one I bought a couple weeks later when I found a similar gun (same mfr) with a stainless bull barrel, black Composite stock, and clip magazine for under $200 - yeah those days are sure gone! When my eyes were younger, I could do 10 shots - 1 hole at 100 yards all day long.

By my estimate that is a deadly rifle beyond 100 yards on almost any game. I can't attest to coyotes (that is what the .223's are for), but it is devastating on squirrel and rabbits out to 100 routinely. Judging by damage, I have to believe that it would be deadly on a much bigger animal with proper shot placement, and I do routinely carry it as a back-up gun when I travel with that intention.

I have shot exclusively CCI's through it because of that accuracy (why mess with success?), and both guns like it equally. I just came across some Fiocci rounds w/hollow points at 1.25 cents a piece, so I bought two bricks. I sure hope they shoot well. If not, I will probably have a bunch of cans with holes in them laying about!

If you have hunted dogs with it and you had any success I would love to hear how it worked and what your thoughts were on lethality. Even though I have enough .223's now to have a spare, I still enjoy the .22 Mag when it comes to carrying it and it feels awful comfortable in my hands. Nothing like a familiar rifle that you shoot often to give you confidence in the field!
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:42 am

I don't think it's ever too late for some input Archie. People stop by every day to view topics that have been here much longer with no activity. Besides, how could we go wrong with a topic named Urban Predator Rifles. That alone should simply breed conversation.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby geat bald eagle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:10 pm

hey Fitter, great bald eagle here. It`s been a while.To the subject at hand. I got my hands on a Remington 5mm Mag.model 592. I have two bolts for it. One for rem fire rounds and the other is for center fire rounds. The rifle was a rem fire when made in 1972-74, but shells where to hard to get. So a fellow in Washington state made a center fire firing pin and some cases out of 5\16 soild brass, so they could be reloaded.He made the dies shellholder, and a funnel for the little 20cal. round. Now Centurion that use to be or maybe still is a Remington co. out of Texas makes the remfire rounds for it at a reasonable very reasonable price. Well let me tell you with either round it nasty. I shot a rabbit killing cat in my back yard with a centerfire shell with a 35 grain hollow point about 90 yards in the back of the head all that was left was one ear and the lower jaw. It`s a wild little rifle.
geat bald eagle
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Fitter » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 pm

I shot a rabbit killing cat in my back yard with a centerfire shell with a 35 grain hollow point about 90 yards in the back of the head all that was left was one ear and the lower jaw. It`s a wild little rifle.

That leaves a very impressionable image :P
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Good for you GBE. Makes me envious. Dave
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby geat bald eagle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey Dave, what brand of rifle is your 221 fireball? I have one in a BDL 700 light barrel and a laminated stock. Shoots great !
geat bald eagle
Avid Member
Avid Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 pm

GBE. I have a old style Contender with a custom shop 21" barrel. I gave up on the 35 gr. V-max and went with the 40 gr v-max. I've got it in a walnut set from www.gunstocksinc.com. It's the Stinger stock with the thumbhole. I also have the same in laminate in autum camo which is a bit heavier. If you want to try some of the 35's with 16 gr. 4227 that i've got loaded let me know as i've been thinking to pull the bullets so that I have more brass. Got 150 loaded with 150 empty brass for backup. That will change once I get done loading the 243 ammo. Just sold 5 boxes of factory 50 gr's because i was dissapointed in their performance. Some day i'll get it in a bolt gun but for now this works and it's not too far behind my 223. By the way, aren't those cartriges just so cute :wink: Dave
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Rimfires