home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Where Are The Coon?

Ok coon hunters here a place for you.

Where Are The Coon?

Postby pmfb22 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:39 pm

I just moved to central Wisconsin last year. Our first night in our new house and my cur dog killed two coon in the back yard. Haven't seen one since. I have a got a real good coon dog too. He treed coon all the time where I used to live. I have only seen one dead coon on the road in the 18 month I have lived here. My neighbor told me that all the bear hunters (and there are a LOT of them in this area) use coons to keep their dogs in shape so not many around. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not but there sure doesn't seem to be any coon around here.
I know that down in the southwest part of Wisconsin there are tons of coon. This fall I went down to Richland county and hunted on a couple farms owned by my friends and got lots, never manged to get a single one up here (between HWY 29 and HYW 64, between Wausau and Eau Claire).
pmfb22

Postby Fitter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Can't speak for your area but plenty of coons, too many actually, around here. There numbers dwindle at each opportunity I get especially when they invade my yard. last year we had a family of raccoons and a family of fox that would visit the yard every day. As you might think it led to conflict. Got to see my first coon versus gray fox fight right outside the window. Coon kicked ass big time and for those who have never heard such battle take place it's pretty wicked.

Now, before I get mobbed for owning a varmint hunting website and not shooting the foxes, I see it this way. The two pelts from the gray foxes would yield very little money, or satisfaction, while the research of watching their interaction and family structure for the past 3 years has been quite rewarding. I have a nice red fox pelt on the cabin wall. I could go on and on but that's off-topic. There's a couple of fox pics in my photo area for those who would like a look.

The raccoons on the other hand are a different story. Been down that road of watching a family of coons including 5 little ones scurry about the yard and climbing all over the bird feeders and making use of the pet door leading into the garage where they raised all kinds of hell. I blast and ask no questions afterward in that department.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:07 am

Try this picture thingy. Heres a close range coon gun.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Archie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm

That is a beauty!!!
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return to Coons