home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Trap Shooting

For all your shotgun needs post here.

Trap Shooting

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am

What is the average distance you shoot on a trap range?

Do you shoot the same shot everytime, or is there different stations and distances?

Does the speed of they bird vary?
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Big_Willy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 pm

What's up foxhunter,

Heck, I just shot trap the othet day for the first time in a while.
I did OK I guess 17of 25 birds both rounds. I should be way better for as many rounds I've shot in the past.

The speed does vary in a way, wind changes the loft and a smaller pigeon seems faster and some launchers may have more powerfull spings than others. The speed at a given location would be consitant unless these variables change. The clays do fly in random directions too.
You shoot 5 shots from each of the five stations.
There are different markings painted on the ground in all five stations moving farther back from the front, I never seen anyone use them shooting trap but they are there for some reason. Everyone shoots from the front line normally.

Are you planning on going shooting soon FoxHunter?
Big_Willy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 am

we have some friends that are sponsoring a shoot. I have never actually shot at a range. I don't miss very often shooting out in the yard, but that is all predetermined and very little change. Even when we throw with a hand thrower I hit 80%. I would really like to do well in this shoot. It's a fund raiser, and I think there are cash prizes. I could sure use the cash. It sounds like a lot of fun too.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Big_Willy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 pm

I'll bet you'll do fine if you're hitting 80% hand tossed.
I'm not sure of the distance but it's less than 20 yards to the house (launcher) from where you stand.
They only fly left, right or away at most places. Don't shoot at a broken one, they will launch another one for you. And when they say "READY", that means the next round you rotate to the next position to your right.

With all that being said, you're now set...:)...
Let's hope you don't hear "loss" as many times as I do while shooting, They always announce a loss/miss.

Good luck and win some cash too!

Bill
Big_Willy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Big_Willy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 pm

http://www.pinevalleygc.com/a_trapshooting.html

Heres some good info on rules, regulations and history of trap.
Big_Willy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 am

thanks for all the info. I will let ya know if I do good. Can't decide which gun I want to use, my old Browning Belguim Light 12(A-5), or my new Win. SX-3. Both are sweet guns
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Shotguns