home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

New house/new crats

Unwanted stray wild pets.

New house/new crats

Postby Alaska Dave » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:06 am

We finally got occupancy in the house I bought, gutted and remodeled. In meeting the neighbors I found out that the targets that I saw whyile remodeling were theirs (10-15). Now I moved from a deadend to a place with me in the middle of the block. Well I did a small cookout, had beer/soda and moonshine for the folks. Got along OK till I said that the bird feeders are just that, birdfeeders not crats place of dinner. Asked them that if they let their crats loose teach them to stay in thier yard or atleast put a sign areound their necks identifying them to which owners. Got alot of confused looks. Plan is that a pellet behind the ear and placing them alongside the road might do the trick. Any ideas submitted will be studied.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New house/new crats

Postby Fitter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am

Tell the neighbors to feed their cats a little better. If you're saying the neighbor has 10 to 15 cats then the answer is simple. Just contact animal control services. There's a limit to how many pets you can have. I have cats, both young and old at the moment, and several bird feeders. Of the hundreds of bird visits per day the cats are lucky to even come close to getting a bird with the exception of a lucky once in a blue moon attempt. Hell, most of the time the older two cats just watch the birds while sitting in the shade or behind a snowbank and seldom put forth the energy. Probably because their food bowl is always full. The youngest cat will always take a shot at getting a bird. Even if he just ate but that phase grows old real quick.

Now, if the neighbors cat steps paw in the yard....different story. I don't hesitate popping a stray cat and I assume the reverse is true if my pet wanders 40 acres over to the closest neighbors place. Fortunately I don't have to cover it up at all. If I had to I wouldn't leave any evidence laying around to alert the entire neighborhood and worse yet have some little kid see their dead pet laying on the road. I'd get rid of the critter somewhere else. Pets, especially cats, disappear and never come back all the time. Cause unknown.

If all else fails the parents of a recent girlfriend went through the same type of scenario and they live right in town. They put their bird feeders higher up off the ground and some chicken wire, maybe it was rabbit fencing, around the base of the feeder. It was shaped slightly like a funnel so no cats could climb up the wire and jump in. Birds eat in safety due to the height of the feeders and when the birds feel they have to hit the ground for the spilled seed they are protected by the wire. I use to call it the birdcage. They also planted Clematis, a flowering perrenial vine, that covers the wire each year. It's very little work or expense and it solved the problem completely and it looks pretty slick during the summer. One of the last times I was there was early fall and I watched several birds eating from the ground while the ex's own cat kept circling. If he couldn't find a solution after months of trying I doubt any other cat did either.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm

If a cat strays to close to my tard, I kow the cause of the disapperance, LOL

Hope I don't offend anyone, but there is only 1 good kind of Cat, here kitty kitty
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Dave,

Are you stranded in Madrid Spain right now and worrying about the neighbor's cats? I just got an e-mail from you (including your last name - which is not on this web sight anywhere) stating that you were Robbed at Gun Point in Madrid and stranded, because they got your plane ticket and cc's, no money for the hotel, or anything! You need 1,500 euros or you will rot there and the officials are not being at all cooperative.

You might want to send a note to your family and friends and let them know you are safe and don't need their money. You also probably want to treat your ISP like a stray cat - they obviously have let the firewall down...

As for the cats, when they start disappearing, they should probably come to the conclusion that you have a lot of coyotes around and they should keep the cats in the house!
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I got the same nearly exact email last week from someone who apparently has me in their address book. Funny thing is this person is always asking for donations because the family car broke down, or their new diagnosis calls for an expensive operation etc etc. I just figured it was his latest request for a handout. Apparently the same scam keeps getting recycled.

For those who haven't, you might want to put yourself in your address book if you have another email account. At least that way you get some notice that your account has been compromised and is sending mail to all the recipients.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Feral Cats And Dogs