home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

New Kill Light

All optical topics here

New Kill Light

Postby Wiswileyhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

I really have learned to like my Mail Man. Especially when he delivers new coyote hunting tools. I have been anxiously waiting for my my XLR 250 kill light to come in. Not saying anything negative about the vendor of choice, they shipped same day and it got to me as fast as can be expected. No patience I guess!!

After reading many reviews I settled on this light as being the best for my needs. There are many knock offs, but I rather pay a little more one time and have good equipment. Because we can't scan in Wisconsin I wanted a light that would make idenifying those moving shadows within 200 yds possible.

It didn't take long to get everything set up on my rifle. I used the quick mount and will work on the permanent mounting in the next couple days. Of course it has to be raining as night fall sets in, so I wait...... Finally got a break in the rain and did what any coyote hunter would do. Sent my Lab out to do his business in the back yard. As he was walking along the edge of the yard I tried out the light. SWEEEEEET!!!! No problem aquiring a target at 100 yards. I use a Bushnell 4200 with the illuminated reticle on this gun and that little red dot stands out perfect in the Green background.

Now I have to wait again.... Anxiously awaiting the full moon in October.
2014/2015 Season

Day Sets 23
Night Sets 26
Wolves Called 0
Coyotes Called 11 (29 visuals)
Coyotes Killed 1
Fox Called 0
Fox Killed 0
Bobcats called 0

Season to Date total for Bro & I - 3 Coyotes (3 additional by co-hunters)
Wiswileyhunter

Re: New Kill Light

Postby Fitter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:29 pm

There are many knock offs, but I rather pay a little more one time and have good equipment.

I hear that. My parents are old school, save a penny because you only pay for the name brand, type of people. Nothing wrong with being frugal but so often I see them buy two of a cheaper product and my single, more expensive item, outlasts there's easily. There's no replacement for quality.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ROCK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 pm

I do 95 % of my yote hunting at night, my light set up( if i even use it) includes a 3 million candle power Q beam with a red filter, i modified it by cutting the cigarette lighter DC plug off and putting 2 spade connectors in the plugs place, for power I use a zeus 12 volt 7 amp battery made for a wheel chair. With a full battery I can see a easy 250 yards if not farther. I know it sounds like a lot to lug around, but it all fits in my back pack with ease. and all weighs around 8 pounds.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wiswileyhunter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:08 pm

ROCK I am with you on using what you got. There has been many a coyote killed with that light setup you have.

I have thought about this light set up for a while now to insure I got what would really work for me. At 9 ounces it is amazing that this will do everything the big lights will do. Hope to get out and do a little target practice one of these nights soon to get all of the bugs worked out of the system.
2014/2015 Season

Day Sets 23
Night Sets 26
Wolves Called 0
Coyotes Called 11 (29 visuals)
Coyotes Killed 1
Fox Called 0
Fox Killed 0
Bobcats called 0

Season to Date total for Bro & I - 3 Coyotes (3 additional by co-hunters)
Wiswileyhunter

Postby ROCK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:28 pm

The worst part about my set up is what to do with the light when I'm ready to shoot, I'd love a rifle mounted light but kinda out of my budget right now. I've been using my current set up for two years now and what I like to do is mount it on my mono pod shooting stick . I don't really know if its legal (not being hand held) but no one has ever told me it isn't . i think its kinda in the grey area.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 am

I have one of the ones that snaps on top of the scope. I would love to sell it make me an offer, I will try to post a pic. later. I think I paid $75 new only used a few times. I quit hunting at night unless it snowy and full moon.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ROCK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:01 am

yes post a pic ! I may be interested. How far does the beam shine out to? give me a guess on specs. Weight, length, is it for a 1 inch or a 30mm tube ? I won't be able to buy it right away, to many other "wants" , I've been saving my pennies for a illuminated reticle scope.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 pm

It is for 1 inch tubes, and I think it's 100 yards. I'm sure you could afford the price, because it will sit and rot away here. I was wrong on price tag, I only paid $49. for it. Make me an offer. I might be coming to Wis sometime soon, I could bring it along. I usually end up in the Livingston/ Platteville area
Attachments
001.JPG
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ROCK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Yeah, I'll take it off your hands.. 50 bucks isn't bad. Now you have me wondering who you know in livingston, or platteville being they are my old stomping grounds. Like I said small world!
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

I was born and raised in Platteville, and Grandparents in Livingston. Now My parents live in Grandparents house in Livingston, oldest Daughter in Rewey. I know lots of people up there. What brought you to the Liv/Platt area? Maybe we know each other

This light is a few years old, give me $25 and shipping if you want it right away. If you want to wait until my next trip home, no shipping.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ROCK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 pm

I grew up in Pville, went through all their schools. Starting with Neal Wilkins , graduated high school in 97. Do you remember who was the high school principle? Was it Dick Trickle? Or did you have Arne Ross 5thgrade, or Joice Jones (6th grade) from middle school ? haha I haven't thought about those people in years ! I didn't have any other relatives that lived there. What year did you graduate HS?
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ROCK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:17 pm

don't bother shipping it... I'll pick it up from you next time your up. I have a good friend that still lives in Livingston, he yote hunts too. But a completely different way, he gets a group together and they drive them. Not really my style. I like calling. 8) I'm no master at it, pretty much a rookie. I like to think I can do it, since I've had a little success.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ROCK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm pretty sure you have a few years on me.... my oldest is 13 (had him right out of high school) He lives with his mother in North Carolina :( But my 5 year old and 1 year old live with me and their mom.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 am

I believe you said you graduated in '97, well ya I have a few years on ya. I was class of '79, LOL I had most of those teachers you mentioned and they were old when I had them.

A friend in Livingston that hunts Coyote, but doesn't hunt with Dogs, hmmm didn't know there was anyone like that there. I will keep you posted as to when I will be coming up that way.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Optics