home button contact button privcy button articles button audio button targets button info button

Search millions of products in seconds!

Our Network Partners: DeerFever.comThe Turkey ZoneOutdoor News DailyWater and Woods

Should I buy it??

Whats your favorite

Re: Should I buy it??

Postby Fitter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 am

I assume getting squeakers from dog toys and using it as a call is common in coyote hunting? I've heard or read it several times now all from different sources.
What you do in the dark will someday come to light.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:57 am

imitates a rodent, food of choice for fox and coyotes
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fitter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am

Ah yes. Easy to work also and no parts to worry about.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ROCK » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 am

my only mouth call has both a cotton tail distress closed reed, and a howler open reed. I have a johnny Stewart cheap e call and my cell phone (that I add computer speakers to) has a bunch of sounds downloaded on it. The cell phone actually works great. I don't understand why e calls are so expensive :? There is no way I'm spending 700 bucks or 300 on a fox pro even tho I want one. People complain that certain e calls aren't loud enough.... I wonder if they realize how small the critters lungs really are! If they need it to be that loud use a mouth call and blow until their face is red and the yotes are running away! :lol:
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ROCK » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 am

The squeaker always seems to get them running in :D , and the reason I bought a decoy to take their eyes off me, and give them something to run to. A lot of pros say they won't shoot until they can see them blink. Now I just need to get them to come in in the daylight! It's never happened for me before.
ROCK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Won't pretend to know about calling coyotes in but why do you need a big hefty expensive electronic caller? Don't get me wrong I love selling them right here from this site but, personally, an mp3 player or Ipod with a docking station is so minimal to carry and way less expensive. When the electricity goes out here, as recently for 42 hours last week, my daughter plugs a computer speaker into the headphone portion of her Iphone and we listen to that music or we plug into my cheap mp3 player to listen to the radio. You can download hundreds of free calls online in fact we have a few right here on the site.

I understand battery life might be an issue but quality shouldn't be a problem. Not that you would want to but you can dock an mp3 player to a high-end car or home stereo. There must be a medium someone in there that would be suitable for hunting. No?
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:59 pm

On my Tape style e-call I only use about half volume. I bought a mp3 and downloaded crow, snow goose and coyote sounds on it. Took it out in the field, got all set up, loaded the gun, reached in my pack grabbed the amp, mp3 and speaker. Hit the power button and the display was so dim I couldn't tell what I was doing. Put it all back in the pack, unloaded the gun and went home. Now it sits on the bench beside the decoy, siren, scope light and all the other crap I got suckered into buying and don't use. I have about 25 different tapes for other caller and it sits in the corner. I have 4 primary mouth calls, if they don't work I try another day.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:55 pm

So it is a battery issue? Just curious here. I took the Ipod outside with a speaker for a while and to me it seems pretty loud. I dont see a display/brightness problem on the Ipod but I didn't hangout to see how long the charge would last either.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Alaska Dave » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:49 pm

I remember the evening when that F*%&%$$ OWL came over my head and grabbed it and pulled it off the base. It let go and flew into a treetop and just stared at it.
I saved alot on my insurance just by switching into reverse and fleeing the scene of the accident.
Alaska Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Sounds like a good commercial :lol:
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Archie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 pm

My electronic failures have all been attributed to battery issues. Mostly due to the cold in the end though. When the weather gets properly cold, batteries do not last very long. I even had that problem this past summer on an 85 degree night, but I was trying to cheap out, and make them last one more set...

If you use an e-caller (which does have advantages), always carry spare batteries, and ALWAYS carry mouth calls as well. If you lose a day hunting because of batteries it is your own fault - and you will never get the day back. If you are willing to drag an electronic caller into the woods, you can't complain about the added weight of a couple of mouth calls! The mouth calls will save the day, and are more satisfying anyway. Technology is great - as long as you don't forget old school by using it. The e-caller can talk away while your hands stay free, but if you add some of your own mouth calls in response, you can really change-up the session, and the extra voice is huge when it comes to putting an educated dog at ease.
Archie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:28 am

Fitter, I believe I was the victim of laziness and not wanting to invest to much money. Batteries were fine, just a poorly lit display. Maybe if I was smarter, I could go into the menu and turn on a light or turn up the brightness, but ain't gonna happen. Me and electronics don't mix. Plus it's not that important because I know I can fool a few of them with my mouth calls.
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fitter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:13 pm

I guess that's what I was getting at in the end. A lot of new hunters don't like or maybe can't sink too much cash into a new sport right off the bat. And while the mouth calls are the obvious first choice others are into the electronics or maybe just prefer to have their hands free for shooting time. I look at it from a beginner stand-point just reading the forums here and soaking in the information and, once in a blue moon, an idea springs to mind. Thinking out loud I am and I seldom stay within the confines of the herd.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fox_hunter42 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm

My opinion, a beginning Coyote Hunter should invest in a E-call. The frustration of not getting a Coyote to come to a mouth call could break alot of beginners. At least you eliminate one variable by using an E-caller. After getting a few kills and confidence move up to mouth calls. Once you have a couple with mouth calls you will be hooked. First it was all done by the Hunter, second that dog will be looking for the hunter not the speaker sitting 50 yards away. Wait till a full moon night and your sitting against a fence post, all of a sudden a Coyote jumps the fence 5 feet away and spins and stares you down. Then you will understand why I like mouth calls
Fox_hunter42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Fitter » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Well those are the recommendations that people only reading the forums take into consideration before jumping into the sport and sometimes the forums.
Fitter
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Decoys